Sunday, January 24, 2010

Unkept Crepes

I've never made Crepes before, but I have EATEN them before and I know that I LOVE them. Yesterday on our Bestie Getaway we were at the MOA and I walked by this little Crepe Shop and instantly regretted my choice to have Chipotle for lunch. Seriously wanted to call "Do Over!" I spent the rest of the day enjoying what was left of our Bestie Getaway but in the back of my mind I was trying to figure out HOW I'd get to enjoy Crepes sooner than later.

I did look up the recipe for the actual Crepe part at Cooks.com (because I'm not a Baker nor do I play one on TV so I trust recipes for things that require a batter of any sort). But I threw together the filling based on my usual Unkept-style of throwing things together until it takes yummy :)

Here's what you'll need:

Filling Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Clove Garlic
1/4 Onion Chopped
5 Large Mushrooms Chopped
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Large Canned Chicken
A few large spoonfuls of Light Sour Cream
Parmesan Cheese (grated or shaved)
1-2 Tablespoons Brown Mustard
Frozen Spinach thawed, drained and squeezed:


Spinach can get messy--so I thaw it in a colander and then use a masher to squeeze the water out. Then it sat draining while I prepped the rest of the filling .. .

and you'll also need Salt, Pepper, and an Herb Seasoning Blend:

Sautee the Garlic, Onion and Mushrooms in 2 Tbsp Butter:


(this is my handy dandy Pampered Chef Garlic Press--I love it!)





After the veggies are cooked through, add the (drained) canned chicken, and the drained spinach to the pan:
Once that's heated through, add the can of Cream of Chicken Soup, a few large spoonfuls of Sour Cream, and a handful of Parmesan Cheese*:

*You could add more cheese but Tigger doesn't do the whole melted cheese texture thing so I don't much more than this--this is enough to get the flavor but not the "stringy" melted cheese thing.

Then add salt, pepper, and 1 Tbsp of an herb seasoning blend.

Then, don't forget this! 1-2 Tbsp of Brown or Dijon Mustard! This totally makes this filling:


That's filling done! put it on a burner on low to keep it warm while you make the crepes. BTW--this filling would be great on lots of things . . .I love fillings!

Crepes (makes 6-8 Crepes)

Ingredients (from Cooks.com)
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Milk
4 Eggs
1 Tbsp Melted Butter
Dash of Salt

Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well until there are no lumps. It will look like thin pancake batter:

See this little measuring cup? I have 4 of them from Pampered Chef that nest and this is the little one . . 'idinit cute? I use it as the scoop for the crepes--you want 3-4 Tbsp of batter per crepe.
Heat a large skillet or griddle with a little oil or butter .. . pour the batter on the pan and help it spread out thin:

Oh . . .oops . . . 'member how I said "get the lumps out"? Yeah, I didn't do that . . .so thems my lumps, my lumps . . .my lovely lady-crepe lumps! Seriously though, they didn't impact the taste a single little bit!

Wait til it's cooked through and very light brown on the bottom . . you shouldn't need to flip it because they're so thin. But if you did it'd look like this:


Take it out of the pan, onto a plate and then pile on the filling:

And then do another one . . . cmon, you know you want to! You can tell the one I did at the beginning of the batch (with very little color) and the one at the end (more brown). So, note to self--make sure the pan is hot when you start out :)

And then cuz the filling is so delish, pile a little more on top and garnish with shaved parmesan.

Then, later, when you have leftover filling . . .warm it up and pile it on some crackers for a great snack to go with the big game . . . Go Vikes!!


Enjoy! Unkept Cook Crepes!

Update: Unkept Remix
We had 2 leftover crepes and later in the day I wanted something sweet. So here's an Unkept Remix: 1 Carton Cherry Yogurt, mixed with 1/4 cup softened cream cheese, mixed with 1/2 cup marshmallow creme . . . mix it up, pile it in the crepes . . . YUM!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yum...seriously...yum! Are you still tired? 'Cuz I'm pooped! And, speaking of pooped...my tummy still felt blech last night! 'Sup wit dat?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!! We missed you girls last night!

    ReplyDelete